Sample Requirements and Instructions
1. SAMPLE REQUIREMENTS
Sample quality directly impacts test quality and subsequent analysis.
Therefore, Dante Genomics has extensive sample quality control procedures to ensure submitted samples conform to requirements for downstream processing.
To guarantee the normal processing of your project, samples should meet the standards given below. If your samples do not meet these standards, and you are unable to produce higher-quality samples, please contact us at email@example.com
A. Input quantity should be determined preferably by Qubit® instead of by NanoDropTM, and the final quantity and concentration should conform to Dante Genomics' specifications.
B. Samples not meeting these specifications should be designated as “at risk” by the customer, and will be subject to billing regardless of data quality.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
2. PRE-QUALITY CONTROL (QC) INSTRUCTIONS
Quality of extracted DNA or RNA might affect the results of the analysis, therefore it is required to the customers to provide the results of sample quality obtained using one of the following methods:
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Agilent 2100
It is recommended samples be analyzed by Qubit (with quantity indicator), so that the results will correspond more closely to Dante Genomics QC results. NanoDrop quantification is NOT recommended. If NanoDropTM is utilized for pre-QC quantification, Dante Genomics strongly recommends that you send more DNA/RNA for processing than the amounts given above (10μL more of the recommended amount). Dante Genomics will perform an extra QC before the analysis.
3. LIBRARY REQUIREMENTS (IF NEEDED)
In case you intend to ship ready-made libraries to Dante Genomics, please take into consideration the following parameters to be met, depending on the type of libraries.
4. SAMPLE LABELING RECOMMENDATIONS
It is important to prevent inappropriate naming of the samples. Dante Genomics do not require any personal information to be placed on the samples. The best option for naming the samples for us would be if the customer assign to each specific sample a 10 characters barcode where:
A. The first three characters are capital letters
B. The following seven digits are numbers (please do not use any 0)
In the case the customer doesn’t provide that format of labeling, we will assign internal barcodes to the samples as the samples are accepted by the laboratory as part of our internal processes.
5. SAMPLE PACKING RECOMMENDATIONS
- For DNA and RNA samples, Dante Genomics accepts 1.5 ml or 2 ml flip-top DNase- and RNase-free microcentrifuge tubes. Please use Parafilm to seal each tube before packaging. Dante Genomics does not recommend shipping samples dissolved in organic solvents (such as absolute ethanol or isopropanol) because the solvents may cause leakage of the samples, which can result in cross-contamination between samples. If it is unavoidable to ship samples in organic solvents, please use flip-top tubes and seal the opening of the tube with at least 10 layers of Parafilm.
- In order to avoid crushing during shipping, Dante Genomics highly recommends placing the sample tubes in a container such as a 50-ml tube or a box with interior racks/holders. Cotton and
absorbent papers can be used to prevent tubes from moving around inside the container.
- RNA and DNA samples should be kept in dry ice during shipment. Saliva samples should be shipped at room temperature.
- In order to stick with our high quality control standards, 96-well plates and PCR stripe tubes are NOT acceptable containers for your sample shipping. The only container we allow for sample shipping is a 1.5 ml or 2 ml tube with flip-top. (See picture below).
6. SHIPPING SAMPLES TO DANTE LABS
Disclaimer: The information below only constitutes a recommendation for shipping samples classified as “non-regulated materials” to our facility. At the time this document was prepared, gDNA/total RNA was not defined as a diagnostic specimen in the International Air Transport Association (IATA) packing instructions, and therefore no special packaging requirements are listed. Due to continuing changes in regulations, customers should always check with their safety office and/or shipping department to ensure regulatory compliance.
1. Ensure that all samples conform to our quality standards and that they are prepared and packaged according to the guidelines given above
2. Select a reliable courier and choose the priority option for shipment. Dante Genomics recommends FedEx (fedex.com), UPS (ups.com), or DHL (dhl.com). For domestic shipping to our Italian lab, we recommend using Priority Overnight (arriving next day by 10:30 am) or Standard Overnight (arriving next day by 3:00 pm) from FedEx, OR Next Day Air Saver (arriving next day by 3 pm) from UPS.
7. SAMPLE TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS
- Lyophilize the DNA for shipping at ambient temperature
- Pack with ice packs/blue ice (2-8 °C)
- Use the cold-chain transportation system (2-8 °C) of the courier DNA Stable (Liquid format, Biometrica)
- Pack in dry ice (-60 °C – -80 °C)
- Lyophilize the RNA for shipping at 2-8 °C or ambient temperature
- Suspend RNA in TE or water and ship on dry ice
- RNAstable (Biomatrica)
- Pack in dry ice (-60 °C – -80 °C)
A. It is highly recommended that RNA samples be shipped in dry ice packaging. Other packaging/transportation methods may add impurities or cause slight degradation of the RNA.
B. The quantity of dry ice and ice bags needed varies with the season (i.e., room temperature), transit time, and the thickness of Styrofoam box and receptacle.
Please contact your local courier office for estimated transit time. Normally, dry ice is consumed (sublimates) at a rate of 5 kg (11 pounds) per day.
Shipping samples to the European lab (preferred by EU customers).
Our EU sample receiving address is as follows:
Loc Boschetto di Pile, Strada Statale 17
67100 L’Aquila, Italy
Shipping samples to EU sample collection site
Contact your local international courier and complete an INVOICE (commercial invoice, customs invoice, or pro-forma invoice) as required for customs, and include it with the shipment.
Please complete the INVOICE as below:
1. RNA or DNA Samples for Research Use Only
2. Non-Dangerous, Non-Infectious
3. No Commercial Value, Value for Customs Only
4. Declare the value of the goods for customs [i.e. $1.00 (USD) or €1.00 (EUR)]
5. Number of samples and volumes [the # of samples, and the estimated volume]
6. Type of container
DO NOT include any other information about the source or about how you packed it.
DO NOT include words such as “Human, Tissue, Cell, Blood, blue ice, dry ice, etc.” on the airway bill. Just write “RNA or DNA Samples for Research Use Only” (Please refer to the airway bill in the above picture).
DO NOT write our company name on the airway bill.
Package the samples with
1. A completed and detailed Sample Information Form
2. Include any QC data for the samples if available (Qubit/Nanodrop/agarose gel electrophoresis/Agilent 2100).
After arriving at the Dante Genomics site, the Project Manager will be responsible for providing timely feedback to you on the progress of your project.